Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Krakow Story


David and I both loved Krakow. We took separate transportation from Prague to Krakow on Thursday. The plan was like this: David would take a bus from the train/bus station that left ridiculously early and he would get to Krakow around noon. I would take the group bus organized by my program leaving at 9 from the train station.

I went to the gym early in the morning before heading to the train station and just as I was beginning to work out, I got a text from David telling me that he had either missed his bus or it had never come. I tried to console him over text, but I could tell he was severely questioning his decision to come with me to Krakow. Luckily, he did an awesome job of staying calm and problem solving. He discovered that he was apparently supposed to take a train to a midway point and then switch over to a bus, which was very unclear from the webpage where we bought the ticket. He ended up having to buy a new ticket, which was frustrating but not the end of the world. His new train left about an hour after my bus, so we were able to meet up at the train station. It was nice to get to wait with him, since I knew almost no one on the trip.

(My program split the students into two travel groups, and I was technically supposed to be in the second group. But since my family is in town this week, I asked to be allowed to go with the first group. It worked out well in that respect, but it meant that I hadn’t really met anyone on the bus with me.)

I boarded the group bus, and immediately I knew that it was going to be a long ride. The girls around me (hopefully none of them are reading this) seemed to have a deeply held passion for complaining. Everything was annoying, unfair, uncomfortable, and/or irritating. I kept fighting the urge to tell them that they weren’t actually being forced to go on this trip. They did have a choice in the matter, and some people actually might be excited to have the opportunity. Eight hours later, we arrived at our hotel and I had managed not to say anything. I waited in my hotel room for David to get there. Originally, I had been quite sure that I would meet him at his hostel, but when I went to the reception desk to ask for directions, they informed me that it was quite a ways from my hotel, and that it was definitely outside the city center. When I seemed unfazed by this information, they looked at my like was I completely insane and really suggested that I take a taxi. So we decided that David would come to me instead.

When David got to my hotel around 9:15, I was extremely hungry and in quite a foul mood. Luckily, he was in a fabulous mood. His transportation had been easy! He loved the train he got to take! He loved Krakow! People there smiled at him! He liked his hostel! The streets in Krakow were bigger than in Prague! The public transportation was cheap and easy! He was basically bouncing off the walls. It was difficult to be in a bad mood around him.

We ended up eating at pretty much the first restaurant we saw, which happened to be a decently nice one in a fancy hotel. David loved the food and I thought it wasn’t too great (this was quite possibly a reflection of our mental states). I ordered borscht, traditional pork chop, potatoes, and cabbage. The borscht had dumplings in it, which were delicious but definitely gluten-y. The cabbage was pickled, which I don’t like. The potatoes were topped with dill, which I don’t like. Apparently “traditional pork chop” means “breaded and deep fried” pork chop. So that was fun. I did order my first drink though, and that was nice. I got a margarita and it was quite tasty, but towards the end of the meal, I started feeling really light-headed. So, in case anyone had any doubts, I’m definitely a lightweight.

The next morning, David came to my hotel to join in on my program’s walking tour. He got there a little early and was also able to steal breakfast from the hotel, which worked out excellently. The walking tour was fun. We got to see fortress walls built in the 11th century and a few of the many cathedrals in Krakow (apparently Krakow is 96% Roman Catholic). We also walked up to Wawel Hill (which isn’t actually that big of a hill, for which my knee was very grateful), where the royal cathedral is located. It’s right next to the “largest intact Renaissance courtyard in Europe” (I think the lengths that cities go to in order to claim fame are hilarious). Near the top of the hill, there is a rather famous statue of a dragon. While we stood there looking at it, fire came out of its mouth, which was super cool. There was a little gift shop at the top, where I bought a kids book in Polish about that dragon, which I’ll add to my collection of foreign language kids books.

After the tour, my knee was pretty sore so David and I bought lunch supplies at a little market by my hotel, and ate in my room. Once we were full, we walked the three blocks to the train station, where we bought our train tickets for our journey back to Prague. (I could have rode the bus back with my program but I wanted to be in town for my family's first full day in Prague.) We also scoped out the bus station to see where David would buy his ticket to Auschwitz the next morning. Afterwards, we decided skip the Ethnography Museum that we had been thinking about going to and wander around the city instead. We occasionally stopped in the little shops that lined the streets, where I bought a touristy keychain. We also stopped in a few of the chocolate shops that seemed to be everywhere, hunting for the perfect place to go after dinner. It took us three tries but we found an excellent one.

While looking around in one of the shops, we heard a commotion in the street. We peeked outside and realized that about one hundred people were marching with signs and chanting in Polish. They were demonstrating to express their disapproval of Russia’s military actions in Ukraine. We stood on the steps and watched them walk by. David decided we’d just “seen history.”

For dinner, we went to a restaurant whose name in Polish means “Raspberry Grandmother.” The reviews online were good and the name was just too quirky to pass up. By the time we got there, we were both quite cold, having left most of our cold weather clothes in Prague, since it was supposed to be warm this weekend. Once inside, we were directed down a steep staircase, at the bottom of which a pianist was playing. The decoration was reminiscent of a quintessential grandmother’s house: mismatched, over-crowded, and dominated by lace and floral patterns. The food was delicious, though the highlight of the meal was definitely the soups that we ordered as appetizers. David had a mushroom soup in a bread bowl, which he thought was just about the coolest thing ever, while I had white borscht with potatoes and sausage. After dinner, we walked to the chocolate shop that we had scouted out earlier. The truffles were unbelievable delicious, and they had a fruit smoothie thing that David liked (he’s not a big chocolate person, which I still don’t understand in the slightest). We stayed there for a few hours because the atmosphere and, more importantly, the chocolate were fantastic. On our walk home, I realized that my family was currently flying to Prague, and David and I talked about how excited we were to see them. 

Saturday morning, David came to my hotel to mooch breakfast before heading to the train/bus station. Once he left, I started hanging out with two girls in my program whom I really grew to like. I had a great talk about religion and such with one of them on the bus ride to Auschwitz, which was about an hour and half long. Our bus took us to Auschwitz I first. This is a smaller, more preserved camp where the museum is housed. Once we arrived, we recognized how odd it was to visit such a sorrowful place on such a beautiful day. At first, it felt uncomfortable to hear about the horrors that took place there while the sun shone gloriously on my face. Later in the tour, though, when stepping out of the buildings where prisoners were kept and tortured, which are now cramped with tourists and informational plaques, I was so grateful for the light and warmth. As we stood at the entrance gate waiting for our tour guide a few groups around us took turns standing by the gate and taking smiley souvenir photos. I doubt they were trying to be disrespectful, but I couldn’t believe it would occur to them to do that. It made me wonder if they were really emotionally prepared to learn about what happened there.

For me, a few aspects of the visit were particularly striking. In one building, there was a series of rooms filled with piles of Jews’ belongings that were stolen, sorted, and sent to Germany. The piles of eyeglasses and shoes and carefully labeled luggage were depressing, and the pile of human hair was even more hauntingly so. One building, Block 11, has been almost entirely preserved in its original condition. This building was the prison within Auschwitz I, where difficult prisoners were tortured and killed. To the left of the building is a courtyard where shootings and public torture were held. In the basement, there was a starvation room and a suffocation room, which are both just what they sound like. There was also a room in which prisoners were forced to crawl into brick cages that were one square meter large, where they would stand all night between days of hard labor. David and I were visiting the camp separately (me with my group and him by himself), and while in the basement, we just happened to pass each other. I was so grateful for the familiar face in such a heavy place.

After Auschwitz I, we rode on the bus to Auschwitz II/Birkenau. This camp was much larger, but the Nazis destroyed some of it just before liberation. While there we saw the train tracks that brought victims into Birkenau and the barracks where they were forced to live. The sheer magnitude of the camp was frightening, and I only saw a small fraction of what was there. We had the same tour guide at both camps, and she did a good job of emphasizing the enormity and severity of what happened. I can’t imagine doing her job, walking around concentration camps and trying to make people grasp the horror of the Holocaust every day, but I am so glad that she does.

Once we had returned to Krakow, David and I took a short, unplanned visit to St. Mary’s Cathedral, the common folks’ church, in the main square. This was the first cathedral we’ve been to that David embraced. We sat in the pews and I prayed and we lit candles. Being in this place, so full of peace, after feeling the Auschwitz air heavy with fear, was such a comfort.

Afterwards, we went to dinner at a touristy place because we didn’t have time to hunt for a different restaurant. We stopped by the chocolate shop again after dinner, and then headed to the train station to catch our overnight train to Prague, where my family was sleeping. 

(Full disclosure: This post catches me up to last Saturday night, March 8th. Since then, I've spent a wonderful week in Prague with my family. I'm about to start writing a post about that, but it probably won't be up until tomorrow. Or later.)

Picture Time!
David got me a flower
And it was beautiful
Like really beautiful
Good morning Prague!

Pretty Building in Krakow (it's an opera house or a theater I think)


David outside the fortress

Tower above the old royal entrance to the city
Old royal entrance to the city

View of the entrance from inside the city


St. Mary's Cathedral. At the top of every hour, a trumpet players plays a tune in each cardinal direction. Imagine being the person who has to wake up at 3am to go play a few notes from the top of the cathedral...
David making a silly face outside St. Mary's Cathedral (we were waiting for the trumpet call)
St. Mary's from the front
View of Wawel Cathedral from Wawel Hill
 
Protestors against Russia's military actions in Ukraine
Chooooocooolaaaates
Building made of chocolate


Entrance to Auschwitz I. The inscription above translates to "Work Will Make You Free."


 


Empty cans of Zyklon B, the chemical used in the gas chambers at Auschwitz
Suitcases stolen from the Jews

So many shoes...

On a sunny day, the grounds really don't reflect the horrors that took place here.



Here, in front of the camp's kitchen, is where the prisoners were forced to stand for roll call each morning and night.
And here is where the officers would stand while conducting roll call, in case of inclement weather. This made me sick.
The gallows where the director of Auschwitz was hung after the war



Entrance to the gas chamber
Inside the gas chamber. In the ceiling, there are holes where Zyklon B was poured in.
Crematorium

Auschwitz II/Birkenau


Train tracks running into the camp


Someone has entangled a rose in the barbed wire






Prisoner's sleeping barracks

No comments:

Post a Comment