Tuesday, April 29, 2014

David's Spring Break: Cesky Krumlov, Travel Planning, and Therapy

This week has been nice and relaxed, for the most part. On Wednesday, David and I went to Cesky Krumlov. The day started roughly, with a pretty emotional 5-hour argument, but we managed to make up and move on, after which we had a really great day. We ate lunch at a vegetarian restaurant on the river, which was beautiful. We also visited the castle the figures prominently in the small town. We spent a good deal of time meandering through the gorgeous castle gardens, and paid a whole $3 to climb up the tower and take some great pictures. We stumbled upon a little free museum about old-time shops in the Czech Republic, and I bought a CD by the Czech headliner of a music festival that I’ll be attending this Wednesday. We took the latest train back to Prague, and arrived, very tired, around 11:30pm.

Cesky Krumlov
Gardens at the Cesky Krumlov castle
Gardens at the Cesky Krumlov castle
View from the tower at the castle of Cesky Krumlov
Old cash register at the shop museum
 We’ve been doing a lot of travel planning lately (mostly me, because David is easily stressed out by that stuff and I love planning). This weekend we’ll be in Prague, and then we’ll be travelling the next weekends. After that, we’ll have about 16 days to travel before I meet my family for a cruise through the Greek Islands. (This all sounds so surreal.) For the two weekend trips, we’ll probably choose between Brussels, Copenhagen, and Geneva. Then for the 16 days after the semester ends, we’ll (probably) be going to Paris, Barcelona, Avignon, Nice, Sestri Levante, Grosseto, Florence, and Milan.

Since David has been off this week, we managed to make it to a museum behind David’s apartment about the history of the Czech Republic. It was very well done, and the view from the top of the building was great. We also made it up the Observation Tower on top of Petrin Hill, which offered a stunning view of Prague (though the top of hot and crowded).

View from Petrin Hill Observation Tower
View from Petrin Hill Observation Tower
 On Thursday evening, I went through a CEA program to see the Swan Lake ballet at the State Opera House. It was beautiful, but definitely confirmed that ballet is not my thing. I spent a good portion of the almost three-hour sold-out performance admiring the (truly amazing) architecture of the opera house, and thinking about how much the performers fit the mold of our society’s impossible beauty standard. I don’t think I’ll be buying myself ballet tickets anytime soon.

State Opera House

State Opera House
We’ve also been to Choco-café twice this week, since we’ve realized that we actually have homework to do and it’s a great study place. Last time we went, David tried a white hot chocolate and said it was good. I tried the tiniest bite I could and it was just gross. I’m happy he liked it though, since it means he’ll go back with me.

In other big news, I started Skype therapy yesterday with a therapist in Austin. I had to go to David’s apartment and kick his (very nice) roommate out of their room so that I could simultaneously have privacy and wifi. I was really nervous, but I feel like it went excellently. It’s so nice to have support from someone who has dealt with this stuff before.

It feels like we’re in the calm before the storm at the moment. The next week or so should be pretty calm, and then we’ll be traveling almost constantly until we get home in mid-June. Craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment