Thursday, February 6, 2014

Beautiful First Day of Class

This morning, I had my first Czech Language class. We went over how to pronounce the special characters in the Czech alphabet and how to say a few key phrases before venturing out into the city as a class. We walked to a bookstore where we could buy the textbook for the class and on the way my teacher pointed out helpful words to know. Most of the class took a tram back to the school, but I walked and tried to pronounce the Czech words on signs the whole way. Sometimes I think that my mouth just can't possibly make the sounds that seem to come naturally Czech locals. But it usually can if I'm willing to look a little crazy and say the word over and over again under my breath.

After class, I walked to the library to get my textbooks (which I can rent for free, yay!). Once I got there, however, I realized that I'd need a new official transcript since I ended up changing my classes (I'm now taking Literature of Prague instead of Intro to Psychology). Of course, my new class was the only one I needed textbooks for so I just walked back towards my apartment. Along the way I stopped in a fancy-looking health food store that ended up having small avocados, which I decided I'd try. I found out they're about $2.50 each, so I'm hoping it's ridiculously good. Then I stopped at the tea shop I mentioned yesterday and got some rooibos tea (luckily, the shopkeeper spoke English), before I got school supplies at a mall (where I learned that folders aren't readily available here).

The avocado inspired me to try to make some Mexican food, so I went to the closest grocery store and got some salsa because that's the only place I've seen it. I'm currently trying to cook dried kidney beans and it's not going so well. Live and learn I suppose.

Tea store! :)


Beautiful day on the Charles Bridge











No comments:

Post a Comment